Ingredients (4 servings):
- 1 chili pepper (green & red mix), thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp mustard seeds (optional)
- 1 tsp mustard, medium/hot
- 1 tsp curry
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp rosemary, dried
- 300 g ripe tomatoes, coarsely diced
- 1 can peeled tomatoes
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of half a lemon
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- some basil leaves, fresh
- lemon zest
- pepper, freshly ground
- chili flakes
- some olive oil
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add chili, garlic, mustard seeds and bay leaves and roast for a few minutes until the garlic and mustard seeds are fragrant and have taken on some color.
- Set aside 1/3 of the garlic and chile for garnish.
- Add the mustard and curry to the pan, stir and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the fresh tomatoes, mix well and sauté until tomatoes are soft, about 5 minutes. Add the canned tomatoes, lemon juice and rosemary, season with a good pinch of salt and bring to the boil.
- Now simmer the tomato dip for about 7-10 minutes on medium heat (without a lid) or until the sauce thickens.
- Pour the dip into a bowl and garnish with the herbs (chili and garlic). Lastly, garnish with some lemon zest, freshly ground pepper, chili flakes, fresh basil and some olive oil.
- Allow the dip to infuse for at least 20 minutes, only then can all the flavors unfold.
Tip: You can prepare the dip a few hours in advance – this will only benefit the taste.